Ocean County Intent to Distribute Meth Attorneys
Methamphetamine distribution is a serious felony crime in the State of New Jersey. Manufacturing, distributing, dispensing or possessing methamphetamine with the intent to distribute bring very stiff penalties if convicted. The Controlled Substances Act classifies methamphetamine as a Schedule II drug. A defendant may face a first, second or third-degree crime depending on the amount of methamphetamine involved. Furthermore, the distribution of fake methamphetamine is an indictable offense also.
The Bronzino Law Firm LLC, represents clients facing drug crimes or other criminal charges, including methamphetamine possession and possession for distribution, in communities across New Jersey including Neptune, Ashbury, Wall, Point Pleasant, Manasquan, Brick, Jackson, Sea Girt, and all of Monmouth County, Ocean County and across the Jersey Shore.
Monmouth County Methamphetamine Distribution Charges
N.J.S.A. 2C:35-5 is the New Jersey law that makes manufacturing or distributing methamphetamine illegal. For the state to convict someone of “manufacturing, distributing or dispensing” methamphetamine the state must prove the following elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
- The defendant possessed a controlled dangerous substance (i.e., methamphetamine) or its analog;
- The defendant manufactured, dispensed or distributed methamphetamine,
- The defendant did so knowingly.
N.J.S.A. 2C:35-5(a)(2) also states for “possession with intent to distribute” when it comes to individuals not caught in the act of directly distributing methamphetamine the State must prove that the defendant possessed methamphetamine or had it in their control, was aware that it was methamphetamine, and had an intent to distribute it. Possession can be physical (i.e., in your pocket or purse) or constructive (i.e., in your car, home or hidden nearby).
- It is a first-degree crime if methamphetamine, or its analog, or phenyl-2-propanone (P2P), is possessed in a quantity of five (5) ounces or more, including any adulterants.
- It is a second-degree crime if the methamphetamine, or its analog, or phenyl-2-propanone (P2P), is possessed in a quantity of one-half (1/2) ounce or more but less than five (5) ounces including any adulterants.
- It is a third-degree crime if methamphetamine, or its analog, or phenyl-2-propanone (P2P), is possessed in a quantity of less than one-half (1/2) ounce including any adulterants.
Penalties for Methamphetamine Distribution Brick NJ
- Conviction of a first-degree crime can carry a prison sentence of between ten (10) to twenty (20) years in addition to a fine up to $300,000.
- Conviction of a second-degree crime carries a possible prison term of from five (5) to ten (10) years as well as a fine of up to $150,000.
- Conviction of a third-degree offense can carry a term of incarceration of between three (3) and five (5) years in addition to a fine of $75,000.00.
However, if the methamphetamine charge is a third degree and the defendant has no prior indictable conviction(s), the defendant is eligible for a diversionary program known as Pre-Trial Intervention. A Pre-Trial Intervention Program may present the defendant with the opportunity to avoid a conviction if they successfully complete a period of suspension and remains drug-free.
Contact a Brick NJ Criminal Defense and Drug Crimes Attorney
Any type of drug distribution is a serious crime and if you are convicted will bring life-changing consequences. If you are facing a possession or a possession for distribution methamphetamine charge, our attorneys are here for you without judgment, but with understanding. You do not have to face this terrifying situation alone. The attorneys at Bronzino Law Firm LLC have the skill and experience to help. We fiercely and proudly represent clients in Monmouth County, Ocean County as well as surrounding communities against all manner of criminal charges. Call us (732) 812-3102 or fill out a contact form for a free initial consultation.