Heroin Possession and Distribution
Heroin Possession and Distribution Lawyers Brick NJ
Heroin remains one of the most highly addictive and damaging drugs. For this reason, heroin use or distribution are things that New Jersey courts take very seriously and are attached to some very stiff penalties that can haunt you for the rest of your life. If you or someone you know is arrested for distribution or possession of heroin it is critical that you contact an experienced drug crimes attorney immediately.
The Bronzino Law Firm LLC represents clients facing heroin possession and possession for distribution charges, in communities across Monmouth County, Ocean County, and surrounding communities.
Degrees and Penalties for Heroin Possession Charges Monmouth County NJ
New Jersey statute N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10 makes possessing heroin at least a third-degree crime, which is a felony that can result in large fines and years in prison. Possession can be direct (in your pocket, purse, or otherwise on your person) or constructive possession (in your house, car, or hidden nearby in a place where you have access).
Possessing heroin carries the following penalties which vary by the weight (amount) of the drug found in the defendant’s possession:
- Possession of five (5) or more ounces of heroin is a crime of the first degree, including any adulterants or dilutants. A conviction can result in 10-20 years imprisonment and a fine of $500,000.
- Possession of a quantity of less than 5 ounces but more than ½ is a crime of the second degree. A conviction can result in 5-10 years of imprisonment.
- Possession of a quantity of less than ½ an ounce of heroin is a crime of the third degree. Conviction results in a fine of $75,000 and possible imprisonment for 5 years.
Degrees and Penalties for Heroin Distribution Charges Ocean County NJ
N.J.S.A. 2C:35-5 enhances the penalties significantly if heroin is possessed with the intent to distribute. This statute takes effect whenever a person knowingly possesses heroin with the intention of dispersing or distributing the substance. Intent can be established by how the drug is packaged, the presence of common household items commonly used in distribution or the amount of cash found in the defendant’s possession.
- Manufacturing, distributing, or dispensing a quantity of 5 ounces or more of heroin or its derivative including any adulterants or dilutants is a first-degree crime. Conviction of this crime carries a fine of up to $500,000 as well as 20 years in prison; a significant portion of which carries a mandatory minimum sentence.
- Manufacturing, distributing or dispensing a quantity of at least a ½ ounce but less than 5 ounces, of heroin or its derivative including any adulterants or dilutants, is a second-degree crime. A conviction for this crime carries a jail term as high as 10 years as well as a potential $150,000 fine.
- Manufacturing, distributing, or dispensing a quantity of less than ½ ounce of heroin, of heroin or its derivative including any adulterants or dilutants is a third-degree crime. A conviction for this charge carries up to a $75,000 fine and a prison term of up to 5 years.
Toms River NJ Heroin Crimes Attorneys
Among law enforcement there is a major effort to eradicate the use and distribution of this controlled dangerous substance due to the severity of the issue in the region; Brick, Toms River, Lacey, Jackson, and South Toms River were all ranked within the 20 highest towns for heroin abuse in the state.
If you or someone you know is confronting the challenge of addiction and have now had your problems compounded with a possession charge, we understand and we are here for you. The compassionate attorneys at Bronzino Law Firm will not pass judgment. Moreover, we can even assist in finding rehabilitation and exploring drug court as an option for your case. Call us (732) 812-3102 or fill out a contact form for a free initial consultation.