Law office of Peter Bronzino



Copyright 2017 The Law Office of Peter J. Bronzino, LLC.
All Rights Reserved.


Call Us For Free Consultation






In order to end your child support obligation, your child must be declared emancipated. This is not automatically done. If you and the other parent both agree that the child is emancipated, then you both can execute a consent order for a judge to sign that declares the child emancipated. If you are not in agreement, you must file a motion where the court will determine if the child is emancipated.

In New Jersey, emancipation does not automatically end when the child turns the age of majority, which is 18. Emancipation occurs when the court determines that the child is beyond the sphere of influence and responsibility by the parent and obtains an independent status of their own. Each case is fact sensitive.

Generally, if a child is still a full-time student, a court will not emancipate them. Emancipation does occur if the child joins the military, gets married, or ceases to attend school on a full-time basis and obtains full-time employment. It is therefore important for you to speak with an attorney to determine whether or not a court would consider your child to be emancipated.

Request a Free Legal Case Evaluation
from a Lawyer in Ocean County, NJ

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call (732) 812-3102 or complete the intake form below.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Read our expertly written blog or share us on social media

We provide our clients with informative and detailed articles on all of the latest news regarding New Jersey legal matters and how it affects your case in family law, divorce law, real estate, municipal court, DUI, traffic offenses, and personal injury. Coming from an in-depth understanding of the law and the industry, capitalizing on extensive experience, we provide hands-on advice that addresses all of our clients’ legal needs.

Contact us
lawyer reviews in ocean county
ocean county lawyer reviews on facebook
family lawyers reviewed on avvo
ocean county lawyer reviews on google
super lawyers in ocean county
national academy of family lawyers