It is common that when a person gets divorced they to want to resume their maiden last name. The process is rather simple if you incorporate the name change into your judgment of divorce at the time your marriage is dissolved. The judgment of divorce will contain the resumed maiden name, your birth date, and your social security number. You will be questioned by the judge as to why you want the name change. Personal reasons are generally sufficient enough. You cannot, however, do so to avoid creditors or criminal prosecution and you will be questioned accordingly. Once the judge is satisfied as to why you are changing your name, it is incorporated into the judgment of divorce and your name is legally changed.